The practice has now started to send prescriptions electronically. EPS is a new NHS Service which allows you the chance to change how your GP sends your prescriptions to the place you choose to collect your medicines or appliances from.
What does this mean for you?
- If you collect your repeat prescriptions from your GP, you will not have to visit your GP practice to pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the place you choose saving you time.
- You will have more choice about where to get your medicines from because they can be collected from a pharmacy near to where you live, work or shop.
- You may not have to wait asl long at the pharmacy as there will be time for your repeat prescription to be ready before you arrive.
Is this service right for you?
Yes, if you have a stable condition and you:
- do not want to go to your GP practice every time to collect your repeat prescription
- collect your medicines from the same place most of the time or use a prescription service
It may not be if you:
- do not get prescriptions very often
- pick up your medicines from different places
How can you use EPS?
You need to choose a place for your GP practice to electronically send your prescription to. This is called nomination. You can choose:
- a pharmacy
- a dispensing appliance contractor
Ask any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS to add your nomination for you.
Can I change my nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
Yes you can. If you do not want your prescription to be sent electronically tell your GP. If you want to change or cancel your nomination, speak to your pharmacist or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS. Tell them before your next prescription is due or your prescription maybe sent to the wrong place.
Is EPS reliable, secure and confidential?
Yes. Your electronic prescription will be seen by the same people in GP practices, pharmacies and NHS prescription payment and fraud agencies that see your paper prescription now. Sometimes dispensers may see that you have nominated another dispenser. For example, if you have forgotten who you have nominated ask them to check this for you.
For more information visit www.hscic.gov.uk/epspatients